Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wedding Update: The Bridesmaids Dresses

I figured I would follow up last night's post with one on the bridesmaids dresses!  They are too spectacular for words, if I do say so myself, so we'll save the big reveal for the big day, but here's some details on how we eventually selected the dress.

I envisioned a classic cocktail-length navy dress that did not scream "bridesmaid!," but I wasn't sure it was possible to really fulfill the bride-promise of "oh, you can definitely wear that again!"  Navy is pretty much the only decided wedding color we have at this point because I love blues and I think it will be a rich contrast to all the grass and trees outside and wood in the barn.

I had been saving pictures of dresses I liked for a few weeks, so I sent them to my maid of honor, Lindsay (click on the picture to make it larger).


Obviously some of those dresses aren't navy, but I just liked their shape or details. Like my gown, most of them have a fun twist on a classic design. The Lilly Pulitzer dress in the middle was probably my favorite out of the bunch, but the price was well more than what I wanted them to have to spend.

A week or so later, I saw gorgeous bridesmaids dresses featured on a wedding blog, and I immediately emailed them to Lindsay.  Luckily, it came in a rich navy color, and we both agreed that it was our favorite of those we had looked at so far.  I was excited about the dress, but decided to wait a few days to make a decision.

When Lindsay called back a few days later with a list of all the places she was planning to wear the new favorite dress, I knew it was the one.

The dress is made of beautiful cotton taffeta, which echoes the luster, texture of my gown.  While I had looked at the store's dresses a hundred times before, the little thumbnail pictures had never caught my eye. To sweeten the deal even more, if you order the dress from the store, they give students and teachers a 15% discount and free shipping!  Doubly sold.

I'm thinking the girls will wear their favorite pair neutral or metallic shoes, and we've still got to decide on jewelry.

Let's round out the attire posts with my shoes!  I love 'em!  I think wedding shoes is one of the areas where things have changed a lot since our parents got married.  Gone are the demure bridal slippers and in are cowboy boots, funky heels, bare feet- whatever makes you feel your best!  To complement the girls' dresses, I'm wearing navy shoes from Nina.


I won't say which ones, but they are included above.  Any guesses?

For dancing shoes at the reception, I'm thinking of some wedge Jack Rogers.

And that's the wedding style as best as we know it.  Now that John can think of other things than studying for the bar, he'll start thinking about what the guys will wear.  What do you think... spring, mountain wedding... classic tuxes, seersucker suits, blazers and khakis, gray suits, tan suits?

1 comments:

Akrons the Viking said...

exciting! definitely good thinking with the "dancing" shoes, haha