Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Forty-Four

Here's the follow-up to the "awesome news" teaser I left you with last week...

That's the number of jobs I have applied to in Charlotte since April.  Forty-four jobs that I met the education and experience requirements for- not the senior vice president of Bank of America or the head coach of the Carolina Panthers, even though both of those might have been easier to come by.

Of those forty-four jobs, I received rejections from seven, interviews from two, and deafening silence from thirty-five. 

And one job offer that I accepted last Friday!


I knew it was going to be a very difficult year to find a job in the public or education sectors after years of major budget cuts and the first Republican-led budget in 130 years starting in July, but it's still humbling to feel you've done everything "right" to set yourself up for a career in a field you're passionate about and get seemingly stonewalled.

New York Times articles about rising unemployment rates served as little comfort when I felt like it was my fault we were going to be eating beans and rice for the next year, instead of enjoying our first big adventure together in the big city.

I will be working at a local community college in a data and policy analyst position related to increasing the rate of student retention and success.  It's a great fit for my skills, and it gets me back in the higher education world, particularly the college access and success world, which is my true interest. I am most excited about how enthusiastic and welcoming the college is in letting me expand the position beyond a narrow "number cruncher" job description and into a broader policy and program role.  I think there is potential for great things for myself professionally and the college.


So, as you can see now, the silence on the blog sure doesn't mean I haven't been writing this spring and summer.

1 comments:

Akrons the Viking said...

woohoo!!!! congrats!!!