Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Beginning

In true twenty-first century fashion, John and I met at work.  We were both interns at the same organization between undergrad and graduate school. We finally met when I transferred divisions and moved to an office closer to his.  He worked with a friend, now groomsman, who grew up in Athens, so I soon found lots of reasons to stop by their office to talk about mutual friends from home.  After a few weeks of this and many (many!) gchats with my girlfriends about the cute intern, I learned two very important things.  

First, John was starting UNC Law in the fall, which happened to be next door to the School of Government, where I would be starting the master of public administration program.  I can still remember the exact moment he said he would be staying at Carolina after his internship, and even way back then, with fewer than 50 words exchanged between us, I thought there might be a chance.  

Second, I learned that the guys played tennis after work.  So, with the confidence of someone completely infatuated, I piped up that I, too, played tennis.  Now, my parents play tennis and I had been present at some family outings to the courts, but I did not play tennis.   I rushed down to the pro shop and picked me out a pretty blue racquet and raced home to put on my cutest believe-me-I'm-a-tennis-player outfit.  Well, I must have provided the boys with enough entertainment that first disastrous day because they let me come back.  

After a few weeks of after-work tennis matches, our co-worker/co-player went out of town {thanks, D!}, and I got the chance to ask John out.  That's right, I asked him out.  Well, I asked him to join me and a group of friends at a Durham Bulls baseball game.

We had a great time talking and laughing and pretty well ignoring the rest of the group, but I don't think I really sealed the deal until we were leaving the game.  

You see, I have this thing for mascots.  

 
Bulldogs, Mountaineers, Arthur the Aardvark, fire dogs, I don't discriminate.  

As we were leaving the game, we ran into I hunted down, Wool E. Bull, the newest animal mascot for my menagerie. Now, most people wouldn't want to reveal this level of obsession on what may or may not be a first date, and normally I wouldn't either, but I just couldn't contain my excitement, so we ended up with this little souvenir:


Just look at that excitement!  This past Saturday we went to another Bulls game, and I was bound and determined to get a picture of us with Wool E. Bull.  As we walked to the gates, there he was!  I nearly knocked some little cub scouts out of the way to park myself right next to him.  With visions of fun pictures for the wedding dancing in my head, I smiled big and this is the picture we got...

 
Guess Wool E. thought I made the wrong choice of who to go home with at that game three years ago.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Okay! This is the cutest blog post ever! I am sitting here in my office (I know, I know . . . but everyone has to take a break sometime!), laughing out loud! You two (that's you and John, not you and Wool E.) are just too cute! Love y'all!

Akrons the Viking said...

that is the most hilarious picture I have ever seen.