Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Favorite Quick and Healthy Summer Treat!

The unofficial start of summer on Monday brought with it the humidity in North Carolina.  The last few weeks have been hot, but that bearable dry heat that feels good when you walk out of an air conditioned building.  This week has been a different story though, so I'm using my favorite one ingredient dessert recipe to cool off when I get home.

Want to know how to make the easiest vanilla ice cream?  Blend a frozen banana- no joke!  I first saw this recipe on a blog last summer and I was sold.  I love yellow bananas, but when they got the first brown spot I was finished.  Until now!

Image via The Kitchn

Just pop over-ripe bananas (the ripeness you would use for banana nut bread) in the freezer.  Then when you're ready for a sweet treat, cut off the peel, cut the banana into chunks, and blend until smooth.  In no time you'll have a creamy, dreamy low-calorie recipe, unless you're like me and then proceed to top it with chocolate chips.

Image via Choosing Raw

You can add a splash of your favorite milk to help it blend quicker.  I also like to add a sprinkle of  cinnamon before blending.  Don't be alarmed when the frozen banana peel turns brown, the inside is still delicious.

I can't remember where I first saw this recipe, but here are a couple of links to it:

The Kitchn: How to Make Creamy Ice Cream With Just One Ingredient

Enjoy and stay cool!

0 comments: